Friday, January 23, 2015

I Remember When............................

I started thinking about the time I saw the changing of the guard at the President's Palace in Lima, Peru. There was a big iron fence keeping the public at bay and plenty of heavily armed police around. My wife told me that there were snipers concealed on the roof watching the crowd. My thoughts then morphed into something else, another direction and this was born.

Watching the guard changing
Shiny uniforms flashing color
Pomp and pageantry
Smartly stepping in unity
Heroes like this
Couldn’t do any wrong
Under heavy arms guards stare
Snipers concealed on the roof
What you don’t see
Most definitely can kill you
No sudden movements now
No cries of liberty
Better watch what you say
The company you keep
These are strange days
Citizens can disappear
Like the rights we gave away
In the hope of guaranteed safety
Yeah that thing doesn’t exist
Quality of life marches away
And all we do is sit and say
I remember when…………….

Written and Published by Don Leach. May not be used without permission from the author.

No comments: